A Lifetime of Health
Every year you go for a wellness check-up. Your pet should too! Tuscan Ridge Animal Hospital recommends taking them for an annual/semi-annual physical examination so they live a longer, healthier life. Based on your pet’s age and current health, we create a personalized preventative care plan tailored to their specific needs. Request an appointment for your pet’s next wellness exam today.
Why does my pet need a wellness exam?
Your pet can’t tell you when something feels wrong. Regular comprehensive examinations help our veterinarians evaluate your pet’s overall health to improve their long-term wellbeing. The importance of these check-ups include:
- Early disease detection
- Heartworm prevention and treatment
- Obesity and nutritional counseling
- Assessment of behavioral issues
How often does my pet need a wellness exam?
Depending on your pet’s age, they will need to visit us once or twice a year for a check-up. Other factors at play include your pet’s breed, weight and any chronic health issues.
- Young Pets (2x/year): We perform an in-depth evaluation to assess your puppy or kitten’s overall health, which gives us a baseline to measure against as they become an adult.
- Adult pets (1x/year): For pets between the ages of 1 and 7 years, we recommend an annual wellness exam that includes preventative vaccinations, dental care, routine screenings, parasite control and other recommended tests.
- Senior pets (2x/year): For pets 7+, we review specific screenings for certain diseases prevalent in older pets, including arthritis, gum disease, diabetes, vision problems, thyroid disease, heart disease, blindness, kidney disease, cancer, and dementia.
What happens during a pet exam?
Along with listening to your observations and concerns, our veterinarians check your pet from nose to tail. Your vet will:
- Take a history of your pet’s lifestyle
- Examine their eyes, ears, mouth, lymph nodes, abdomen, musculoskeletal system, skin and haircoat
- Listen to their heart and lungs
- Record their vital signs and current weight
- Provide behavioral and nutritional recommendations if necessary
- Recommend additional tests based on exam findings
What are some routine screening tests?
We may perform routine wellness screening tests, including:
- Blood tests
- Thyroid hormone testing
- Fecal tests
Schedule Your Pet’s Wellness Exam Today
Our team at Tuscan Ridge Animal Hospital takes pride in caring for your pet throughout their life. Once we get the full picture of your pet’s overall health, we recommend any necessary preventive actions or medical treatments to keep your furry friend healthy and happy. Request an appointment today with a vet in Wake Forest.
The content on this page was reviewed by Dr. Kelly Harper, Veterinarian and Founder of Tuscan Ridge Animal Hospital. You can learn more about Dr. Harper’s experience and expertise on her bio page. If you have a question about this page, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.